Saturday, March 28, 2020

building a library of GOD speak

Compiling a Library of Precious Thoughts
the first in a series

John's last proclamation, in his biblical gospel account, informs us,

"Jesus did many other things as well.  If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written."

I love and hate this at the same time.

Imagine if there were just ONE library somewhere on the earth, a huge, sprawling place - which contained - maybe not exhaustive - but volumes upon volumes, by the thousands, of biographical writings about JESUS' childhood, young adulthood, spiritual instructions, "extra-biblical"  teachings, left-out miracles (John 20:30) and conversations with HIS Father.  Wouldn't we flock to it, read our hearts out?  And what if there were one room, even a small cubicle, filled with many manuscripts of musings about YOU - GOD's thought about your life, HIS plans for you, affirmations, game-plans, explanations and answers to your toughest questions and other personal "love letters" to your heart?   How much time might we spend at such a library?

One of my favorite Psalms, 139, speaks my sentiments in verse 17:

"How precious to me are your thoughts, O GOD!  and then a mind-boggling addition,
How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand..."

When was last time you scooped up a handful of sand and let the grains sift through your fingers?   That's a plethora of perceptions!!!

One of the first times I remember hearing The LORD's "voice." began with a Sunday morning in my early years of marriage.  I hadn't yet any children, (so it truly feels like a million years ago) and my then associate pastor husband took the car to Church early, letting me sleep in a bit and ride my bike.  So I woke alone, with a deep hunger in my heart, a longing to be with Jesus. I longed to hear Him whisper He loved ME, to feel the reassurance that this screw-up I identified with myself was lovable.  I stared out at the grey of predawn and composed a song .   This wasn't completely unusual, as out of the depth of my soul, I sometimes sing to Jesus - making up melody and lyrics to my heartfelt prayers.  I sang "....if only I could hear You say, "I love you; well done.""  Though I remember the song was much longer, this was the essence of my cry that morning.

Later that morning, as I worshiped at a Lakeshore Vineyard Church, in Holland Michigan, I raised my voice with the rest of the congregation, and lauded my LORD with hands uplifted.  After a 25 minute set of praise songs, Pastor Paul invited us to turn and "greet those around us."  Turning to a group kitty-corner and behind me, I met the elderly mother of one of our members, who was visiting that morning.  I don't remember the member, nor the name of her mother, but what she spoke to me will be indelibly fixed in my mind as long as I live on this earth.  This precious babushka-like woman relayed that while watching me worship, GOD spoke to her.  He intimated, about me, "I am so please with her."  She took the liberty, (I didn't mind, I was weeping,) to quote to me, as if Yahweh Himself were speaking to me, ""I am so pleased with you, my daughter.""  

In the book of 1 Timothy, the Apostle Paul refers to the "prophecies once made about (Timothy),"  and exhorts him that "by recalling them, (Timothy) may fight the battle well, holding onto the faith..."  This principle is one I subscribe to, and encourage others to do as well.  I remember what The LORD has said about me, and it does help me to live my life, which often feels very much like warfare with one skirmish overlapping another, with more confidence, zeal, love land humility.

Thanks for reading an account dear to my heart.  I hope you enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment